Sunderbans, the world's largest estuarine forest and delta covered by mangrove forests and vast saline mud flats is situated on the lower end of Gangetic West Bengal.With a little luck one may experience a salt water Crocodile sunbathing in the mud; a flash in the corner of your eye could be Deer running into the forests. Most famously, however, this protected area is home to the Royal Bengal Tiger. You can also explore the wildlife of Sunderban that harbours Jungle Cats, Fishing Cats, Axis Deer, Wild Boar, Rhesus Monkeys, Mongooses and the largest Estuarine Crocodiles in the world. Sunderban is the breeding ground of immense variety of birds like Heron, Egret, Cormorant, Fishing Engle, White Bellied Sea Eagle, Seagul, Tern, Kingfisher as well as migratory birds like Whimprel, Black-tailed Godwit, Little Stint, Eastern Knot, Curlew, Sandpiper, Golden Plover, Pintail, White-eyed Pochard and also Whistling teal. A wide variety of aquatic and reptile life forms that include Olive Ridley sea turtle, hardshelledBatgur Terrapin, Pythons, King Cobra, ChequeredKillback, Monitor and Lizards including the Salvator Lizards are also there.
Sunderban is characterized by the sundari trees that give the mangrove their name. These trees hold together the small islands of mud, on which they grow, with their roots. Nevertheless, with each incoming tide, the greyish brown silt looses itself to water seamlessly. Sunderban consists of a large flora population like genwa, dhundal, passur, garjan and kankra. Apart from these trees, impenetrable goran trees between 1.8 metres and 3.6 metres high cover almost the entire region. One of the most remarkable features of this place is the bayonet like roots of mangrove forests that stick out above the water level.
DAY 1 (Kolkata- Sunderban-Kolkata)
- Tentative start @ 0700 hrs from your hotel byexclusive vehicle and drive to Gothkhali 110 kms (Here the road journey ends and the cruise to beautiful Sunderban begins).
- Arrive at Gothkhali and board on exclusive vessel to sail towards Sajnekhali Tiger Project Area for viewing wildlife,Sajnekhali, Museum, Mangrove Interpretation Centre and Watch Tower.
- Later sail to Dayapur. On your arrival you will be greeted by our team at resort with a hot lunch.
- Post lunch cruise to Sudhanyakhali Watch tower and mangrove islands and creeks of the Park. You may spot some of the wildlife of the eco region (Crocodiles, Water monitor lizard, Spotted deer, Wild boars, variety of endemic or migratory birds and if lucky the Royal Bengal Tiger)
- Around 04 o’clock cruise back to Gothkhali Jetty to board car back for Kolkata.